Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

One month!!!

Cooper is one month old today!!! He has had a busy month here. He has been on 2 different kinds of ventilators, billy lights, and billy blankets. He has had head ultrasounds, blood transfusions, x-rays, Picc line, blood tests, and surgery...whew what a month!!!

Cooper was doing so well after surgery that we left the hospital to get some rest. We were so tired from all the weeks excitement that I actually slept through the alarm to get up to pump! We got a phone call from the doctor at 7am. Cooper didn't have such a good night. He apparently "clamped down" on the ventilator and no air could get through. He had to be bagged and re-intubated and even got some chest compressions. This is apparently VERY common in preemies. SCARY but common. Their lungs are just not mature and they clamp down if frustrated, in pain, or upset. They changed his tubes out and he came out of it. I am so thankful for great doctors and nurses. God was watching over our little guy. I am so glad I was not present for that! We got to the hospital as soon as we could and watched him the rest of the day. He had a GREAT day!! His stats were good all day and he had no "spells".

I got the greatest present today! I got to hold my baby!! The nurses found out that I have not held my son at all since birth, and they agreed that this was the best medicine for both of us. She said Cooper needed to be held and kissed by me as much as I need to hold and kiss him. I sat in the chair and she put a pillow in my lap and laid Cooper in my lap. I held his head with one hand and held his hands in the other. I spent the next hour in awe of my son!! God is so wonderful!! He has blessed me beyond anything I deserve!!! The whole time I held him his stats were high. It was so wonderful!! What a great day!!

We were a little nervous leaving him tonight, given that he had a bad night. We left and I warned the nurse that I would probably be calling her a LOT tonight!! She welcomed me to call!! I just got off the phone with her and he is doing great!! Can't wait to talk to her again later!! LOL worried mom!!

1 comment:

  1. Even though you had already told me about holding Cooper, I just got tears in my eyes reading about it again. I'm so happy for you!!!! My prayer now is that Cooper makes big strides every day and you get to take him home soon! We love you!

    ReplyDelete