Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Our first sickness

Well it was bound to happen........Cooper got sick. Toward the end of his birthday party I could tell he was not feeling good. I was hoping he was just tired, but my fears were confirmed with a fever.

I took Cooper to the doctor on Monday morning to see what was going on with my boy. He still had a bit of a fever and was snotty, but most troubling was this cough. His oxygen saturation was still fabulous, so I knew he was breathing just fine. The doctor could hear a little "crackling" in his lower left lung...NOT GOOD! I remember those crackling days of the NICU and it always meant trouble! She sent us in for an x-ray and it was confirmed that he was in the beginning stages of pneumonia.....YIKES!! They put him on some pretty tough antibiotics and we were told to keep an eye on him for signs of breathing distress.

It just so happened that I had Cooper's 1 year old well visit scheduled for Wednesday, so we went back in. His lungs sounded a little better, but his ears looked bad. He had an infection in one ear and the other ear was starting to get infected on antibiotics.....Poor guy! They switched antibiotics and gave him his 1 year shots; Fun stuff!!

We are still working on "Operation Fat Baby". We were told we could switch to whole milk and load up on the solids! They also gave us this pediasure extra calorie shake to give him once a day. This should put weight on him!! He already looks fatter to me after 1 shake! LOL!! His breathing is still great without oxygen!! God is so good!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad he is feeling better. I would be the same way with the feeling rushing back over ya again hearing someone say 'crackles' in the lungs! Praise God he is doing so well...I cannot believe all of these babies are turning 1...What a year we have all had and we are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy! He is one tough cookie! :)

    ... Mama and Daddy are pretty tough, too! :)

    Praise the Lord he's on the mend and packing on the pounds!

    ReplyDelete